February 25, 2010

The staghorn fern.




I was repotting the staghorn fern this morning,
took a mix of compost and peat, staghorn ferns are
air plants, like orchids, you can see some giants on
the pics below. I'm afraid I bought a giant too, I was
reading the label this morning, giving:
Platycerium Grande !!!!!
The Grandes have leaves up to Two Metres!
Don't want this plant to develop into some sort of
vegetable version of HAL 9000 :(






But in their habitat they look gorgeous, don't
you think?
The photos come from here and here , first
and bottom pic are mine.
The press cutting also, don't think it was trickery.










Here he is :-)




18 comments:

  1. hij ziet er nog braaf uit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A plant made to be drawn!!
    annamaria :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. heel subtiel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning! I agree with Annamaria completely! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing! love the pic with them all in the tree branches:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wanted to say I love your blog and think you might like mine too: ellenitza. Stop by when you have a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love them renilde ...plants are so inspiring , I have twigs from a tree that have beautiful fungus on them ...they are like miniatures of your fern ...they all seem so magical , like they are little dwellings \satellites from the main branch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They grow pretty big in these parts too :) My brother-in-law has a massive collection. Good luck! Kx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow. That fern is going to eat you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are beautiful, all ferns.
    You have a lovely blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi Renilde, you crack me up with 'a vegetable version of hal',i can imagine your giant plant talking to you in a very soft yet threatening voice! and remember she'll be able to lip read.. have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  12. Big and small. This is an amusing post! I'm sure the plant will behave.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love your eclectic collections of images.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wonderful, wonderful wonderful! i hope you live happily side by side with your growing green monster:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. besides your greatgreat green giant, i love your press cutting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Friday was the first time I ever saw these plants and I am in love and desperately awaiting one of my own. They are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. this post is brilliant! I love platycerums, I wanted to by one... but I´m a little scared now :*

    ReplyDelete